High Cholesterol Specialist

Family Health Center of Bastrop

Multi-Specialty Medical Group in Bastrop & Smithville, TX

Having high cholesterol can significantly increase your risk for health complications such as stroke, heart attack, and blood clots. The team at Family Health Center of Bastrop, with offices in Bastrop and Smithville, Texas, offers cholesterol screenings and high cholesterol treatment. To manage your high cholesterol and lower your health risks, call or schedule an appointment online today.

High Cholesterol Q & A

What is cholesterol?

Cholesterol is a naturally occurring waxy element of the blood that is essential for building cells and producing vitamin D, hormones, and bile acids in the intestines. The liver produces about 75% of the cholesterol in the body, and you consume the other 25% by eating food. Within health limits, cholesterol is an integral part of maintaining your health and wellness.

However, when you have elevated cholesterol levels, these cells can accumulate in the bloodstream and cause an increased risk for blockages, preventing blood flow and oxygen from feeding your brain, heart, and other tissues.

High cholesterol is a condition where the cholesterol in your body is outside of healthy limits. Diet, exercise, and genetics all play a significant role in your risk of having high cholesterol. Routine cholesterol checks can determine your health risks and measure the number of two types of cells: high-density lipids (HDL) and low-density lipids (LDL).

What are HDL and LDL cells?

HDL and LDL are cells that help manage cholesterol in the body. Both types of cells are essential for a healthy body, though you must have the right amount of each.

HDL

Physicians often refer to HDL as “good cholesterol,” as its function is to carry excess cholesterol cells out of the body. An ideal blood level of HDL cells is 60 mg/dl or higher.

LDL

Physicians often refer to LDL as “bad cholesterol.” LDL cells also help transport cholesterol cells, but an increased amount of them causes cholesterol to build up in the bloodstream and create blockages. An ideal blood level for LDL cells is 100 mg/dl or lower.

A routine cholesterol blood test reflects the amount of each of these cells. A low HDL level and a high LDL level indicates an increased risk for serious health complications.

What are the possible complications of high cholesterol?

If you have high cholesterol, your risk significantly increases for conditions such as:

  • Type 2 diabetes
  • Peripheral vascular disease
  • Stroke
  • Blood clots
  • Liver disease
  • Atherosclerosis
  • High blood pressure 

High cholesterol is the leading risk factor for coronary artery disease (CAD), which can lead to

stroke and heart attack. 

How can I manage and treat my high cholesterol?

Routine cholesterol checks and healthy lifestyle choices can help prevent and treat elevated cholesterol levels and reduce risks for serious health problems.

Your cholesterol management plan may include:

  • Annual cholesterol checks
  • A heart-healthy diet
  • Annual wellness checks
  • Regular physical activity
  • A smoking or tobacco cessation plan
  • Cholesterol-lowering medications

Family Health Center of Bastrop develops a personalized plan of care that helps empower you to take control of your high cholesterol and improve your health risks.

For a consultation regarding your high cholesterol, call or schedule an appointment online with Family Health Center of Bastrop today.